I am thinking of trying a vegan diet for a little while, with it potentially becoming a more permanent lifestyle change. I was thinking about becoming a vegetarian for a while, but then realised that with dairy already cut out the only thing left before vegetarian becomes vegan is eggs (that’s right isn’t it?!) I do like eggs, so we will see. But I have started off my experiment with chocolate brownies, of course.
110g Pure Sunflower spread
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
4 tbsp milled flaxseed (available at good health food stores)
6 tbsp rice milk
4 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
175g light brown muscavado sugar
100g self raising flour
Couple of drops of vanilla extract
Handful of chopped walnuts (or other nuts of your choice)
Handful of cacao nibs (optional)
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease a square baking tray. (You could line with greaseproof paper as mine did stick slightly when getting them out but I also used a pyrex dish)
- Mix together the flaxseeds, rice milk and baking powder.
- Melt the pure butter and then add cocoa powder and mix until smooth.
- Pour this on flaxseed mix, add the sugar, vanilla, cacao nibs and nuts and mix well.
- Sift in flour and pinch of salt and stir well. Mixture will be nice a gooey!
- Pour into tin and bake for 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool before cutting into squares and transferring to plate.
Next time I might try substituting a small amount of the butter for coconut oil and adding goji berries, crystalised ginger, raisins or hazelnuts. White chocolate chunks would also be delish if you have dairy free. Whatever you fancy! They taste great and I am looking forward to finding out if Tim approves later!